What is Wire EDM?
Wire EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) is a manufacturing process whereby a desired shape is obtained by using electrical discharges between an EDM wire and an electrically conductive material such as stainless steel.
The cutting path of the wire, which is held in place by an upper and lower guide, can be programmed to produce the desired shape.
Advantages of Wire EDM
- Creates simple or complex shapes or patterns that would be challenging to produce with conventional cutting tools.
- CNC controlled cutting patterns can be completed quickly on a wide range of stainless steel alloys while maintaining a low Ra surface roughness
- High dimensional accuracy for close fitting parts
- The tool and the workpiece do not make actual contact which allows for machining of delicate sections and weak materials.
- The process leaves minimal burrs
- Custom tooling is generally not needed
No matter your unique specifications of pattern, shape or application, Eagle Stainless has the wire EDM equipment, experience, and expertise to provide a quick, precise solution. Contact us today!